Contemporary Chic

My Nottingham bucket list can be worked through now I've finished my degree, so last week I finally got a chance to visit the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery! I do prefer portraits or detailed paintings as opposed to sculptures or more abstract pieces, but I was surprised to find a few well-known works there, and some really interesting pieces in their collection Somewhat Abstract. I have added a few pieces in this post, as well as my outfit for the day, which I feel reflects my arty side. I got this jacket as another bargain from Ebay and it's so comfy! Maybe I should have bought it earlier on in the year though, because it might be a bit too warm for summer... I'll wear it anyway.




Shirt: Topshop, Crop: Primark, Shorts: H&M, Jacket: Rokit, Boots: Dr. Martens, Necklace: Talullah Tu
Helen Chadwick: The Philosopher's Fear of Flesh No.1. I thought this was a strange piece, but I strangely like it, as the tear drop panels were luminous and I like how they link and are contained by the wood.
Lucy Skaer: The Great Wave. This large scale work was made up from small intricate wave swirls, in different shades to create the overall 'great' waves, which looked beautiful. I really like how the edges are not uniform, as if the waves have taken over the white panels.  
Harold Cohen: Untitled.

Frank Auerbach: Primrose Hill
Cathy De Monchaux: Clearing the Tracks Before They Appear. I really like how the fabric is contorted and ruched by the metal pieces, I love the idea of contrasting textures in similar tones.
Francis Bacon: Head VI. I studied this piece for my artwork, but seeing it in real life was much more impressive, it seemed to me more disturbing being up close. 
Oooh and on the way, I found the lovliest shop, Behind the Red Door, which had some quirky little items and I did take a few sneaky photos for you to see. 


Loved these jars with rose lids, and the Pick 'N' Mix candles above smelled amazing!



This entry was posted on Friday 20 June 2014. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply